Thursday, January 28, 2010

Homemade Deodorant

Homemade deodorant?! I know, right? But I absolutely love this recipe! I originally got it from here and she got it from here.
I was used to either using an anti-perspirant (even though I know that anti-perspirant use is linked to breast cancer and weight gain) or nothing at all. For any of you who have tried the "nothing at all", you know that some days you can get away with it. Emphasis on some days.
This deodorant is SO fast to make and it spreads on like a creamy lotion. Again, there are some upfront costs, but in the end, it works out to be about $3 per batch. A batch will last for about 5-6 months (longer if you store it in the fridge). It ends up being about the same price as a conventional deodorant and a lot cheaper than the natural deodorants at my local health food store.
I guess it would seem pretty intuitive that cocoa butter (one of the ingredients in this recipe) would smell like chocolately goodness, but I'd never used it before and had never really thought about it. Then I opened my bottle and YUM! It has such a strong smell that you have to add a lot of essential oils if you want to overpower it. I, on the other hand, had a hard time completely letting go of such deliciousness, so I added just enough orange oil to make it smell like a chocolate orange. It turns out that it didn't make much of a difference anyway since I can never smell it once it's on. Someone asked me if this leaves white marks on my clothes. I have not had that problem and when I apply it, it seems to go on clear. I would be comfortable going sleeveless while using this deodorant. Enjoy!

HOMEMADE DEODORANT

  • 3 Tbs. shea butter
  • 3 Tbs. baking soda
  • 2 Tbs. corn starch
  • 2 Tbs. cocoa butter
  • 2-4 drops vitamin E oil
  • essential oil

Combine all ingredients except for the oils. Melt in microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir well. Add oils. Stir again. Pour into 1/2 pint jar and place in refrigerator to set. Use pea size amount and apply to underarms like a cream.




That's it! You're done! If you store this in your fridge or it gets cold in your bathroom, soften the deodorant between your fingers for easier application.

By the way, you can buy vitamin E capsules for this recipe, but it is usually less expensive to buy a bottle of vitamin E oil - it's generally kept with the essential oils at your health food store.

*As with all deodorants, you should wait at least 20 minutes after shaving before you apply

3 comments:

Olsen Family said...

I just made mine and it smells so good. The butters and the oil cost me $27 at good earth, none of it was on sale, but I can tell it will last a long time. I poured it into an old empty deodorant container and it filled it more than full. So excited to use it. Thanks for the recipe Tara.

Tara said...

I am glad you made it! That is about what it cost me (I think I may have paid a few dollars more) and the single batch I am using right now has lasted for five months so far. I think I have about a month's worth left. I love it!
You'll have to let me know how it works for you and what you think :)What scent did you use?

The Cummings Family said...

This is great-thank you for sharing!